Daylight Saving Time ends November
4th at 2 a.m., when we fall back one hour for the purpose of making better useof daylight. As we set our clocks back, the Gallup Fire Department recommends
testing your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are two of the most important safety devices in your home. Because of this, it is extremely important that these devices be maintained properly. The end of daylight savings time is a good reminder to make sure that these items are in good working condition.
Roughly two-thirds of home fire deaths occur in homes with no smoke alarms or working smoke alarms. When smoke alarms should have worked but failed to operate, it us usually because batteries were missing, disconnected, or dead. The Gallup Fire department recommends the following guidelines around smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors:
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month using the test button.
- Make sure everyone in the homeunderstands the sound of the smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector and knows
how to respond.
- Replace all smoke alarms when theyare 10 years old.
- Replace the smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector immediately if it doesn't respond properly when tested.
- Smoke alarms with non-replaceable
(long-life) batteries are designed to remain effective for up to 10 years. Ifthe alarm chirps, a warning that the battery is low, replace the entire smoke
alarm right away.
- For smoke alarms and carbonmonoxide detectors with any other type of batter, replace batteries when you
change your clocks for daylight savings. If the alarm chirps, replace only thebattery.
- They should also be cleaned
whenever the batteries are changed. Follow your manufacturer's instructions forproper cleaning technique. Cleaning generally involved using a vacuum cleaner
to remove built-up dust particles.
- Wheninstalling a new alarm or detector mark it with the installation date, so you know
when it is to be replaced. It's a good idea to mark it in a place where youwill see it when replacing the batteries so that you will have an easy