Land Use & Zoning


The City of Gallup Planning & Development Department is charged with managing the use of land in the City of Gallup. Proper zoning helps avoid incompatible uses within a geographic area and balances protection of private property rights and economic development with concerns for environment and quality of life for community members.



Our Planning & Zoning Commission meets the second Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of City Hall located at 110 W. Aztec Avenue, Gallup, NM.

All applications seeking approval from the Planning & Zoning Commission must be submitted the second Friday of the month prior to the scheduled meeting. 

Example – If you are requesting to be placed on the February agenda, you must have your completed applications along with all required documents submitted by the second Friday in January. 

Here is our current Planning & Zoning yearly meeting schedule and application submission deadlines. This schedule details when the meetings are scheduled (if an application has been received) and the deadline to file an appeal.



All land use and zoning applicants are required to meet with the Planning & Development Director prior to submitting their application. This ensures that your project meets the minimum criteria.

To schedule a meeting with our Planning & Zoning Director, please contact:


C.B. Strain, Director

Planning & Development Department

Phone: (505) 863-1240

Nikki Lee, Planning Manager

Planning & Development Department

Phone: (505) 726-2615



How is land annexed into the city?

What are the steps in the annexation process?

What are the general criteria used to evaluate an annexation request?

Can there be special requirements for certain annexation requests?

What are accepted grounds or a basis for re-zoning?

How can I obtain the ownership and legal description for a parcel?

What are accepted grounds for a zoning variance?

I disagree with a decision of the planning department, Can I appeal it?

What can I do to minimize problems and expedite my requests with the Planning and Zoning Department?