Building and Construction
The City of Gallup Planning & Development Department will be TEMPORARILY scaling back our in-person visitations at our department resulting from the rising COVID-19 numbers affecting our area. The following “TEMPORARY” protocol has been implemented for our department:
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATIONS
1) All building permit applications, may be submitted via electronically with all required documentation. Permit applications will still require signatures from all individuals indicated on each application prior to submission.
Please email your plans to:
2) Two sets of original building plans are still required to be submitted. These can be dropped off with Security on the 1st Floor of City Hall. You may also mail your plans to:
City of Gallup
Planning & Development Department
110 W. Aztec Avenue
Gallup, New Mexico 87301
3) Any plan reviews or discussion will be done telephonically by calling (505) 863-1240. If we need to conduct a visual meeting we can schedule through “ZOOM.”
Below are a list of activities that are required to be permitted through the Planning & Development Department. If you have any questions relating to the permitting process please contact our department and our staff will assist you with this process, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (MST).
The following types of projects are examples of areas that require permits:
- New Construction – Residential or Commercial
- Additions to a Structure – Residential or Commercial
- Alterations or Repairs to a Structure – Residential or Commercial
- Minor Alterations – Residential or Commercial
- Stucco – Residential or Commercial
- All Fences
- New Sidewalks and Access Cuts (See Public Works)
- Excavation / Grading
- Asphalt / Overlay
- Re- Roof (Overlay & Tear Off) / Structural Roof Renovations
- Sign Permits
- Accessory Structures
SEALCOAT & RE-STRIPING
Please be advised that Planning & Development will no longer require a permit for sealcoat work and re-striping. It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure they are in compliance with all ADA and City of Gallup parking and striping requirements. Please refer to the City of Gallup Land Development Standards for further information.
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATIONS
Obtaining a building permit requires a visit to the Planning and Development office in City Hall. However, it may be helpful to view our forms online to see what information will be requested concerning your particular project. Furthermore, depending on your project, a different type of application may be required. Please contact our department if you are not sure if your project requires a permit. It is important to remember that all mechanical, electrical and plumbing must be permitted through the NM Construction Industries Division.
You can download the following applications:
- Building Permit - Contractor's Application
- Building Permit - Homeowner's Application
- Building Permit - Re-Roof Application
- Building Permit - Sign Permit Application
- Extension Request Application - Permits or Temporary Certificates of Occupancy
OTHER BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION INFORMATION
- 2021 - Current Monthly Building Permit Report Opens a New Window.
- 2021 - Year to Date - Monthly Building Permit Report
- Building Permit Activity Report - 5 Year Comparison (2016 - 2020)
- Standard Drawings - Series 2400, July 2016
Opens a New Window.
If you have any questions on the permitting process or any related information building & construction within the city of Gallup you may visit of contact our office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (MST) at (505) 863-1240.