Meet our City ManagerMaryann Ustick is the city manager of Gallup, New Mexico. She joined the city after managing Destin, Florida. Maryann previously served as the North Las Vegas acting city manager and assistant city manager where she oversaw the departments of Economic Development, Public Works, Parks & Recreation, Planning & Zoning and Utilities. She has also worked in Las Cruces, New Mexico; Pensacola, Florida; and Phoenix, Arizona.
Maryann holds a bachelor’s degree from St. Mary’s College of Maryland, and dual master degrees in history and public administration from Old Dominion University. She is also a credentialed city manager and member of the International City/County Management Association (ICMA).
Duties of a City Manager
Under Gallup’s council-manager form of government, the City Council appoints the city manager to act as the chief administrative officer of the city. Subject to the provisions of the city charter, the city manager has the following duties and powers:
- Devote their entire time to the discharge of their official duties, prepare the agenda for and attend all meetings of the council unless excused therefrom by mayor or council.
- Prepare the budget annually, submit to the council and be responsible for its administration after its adoption.
- Prepare and submit to the council, at the end of each fiscal year, a complete report of finances and administrative activities of the city for the preceding year.
- Keep the council advised at all times of financial conditions and future needs of the city.
- Employ and discharge all employees of the city pursuant to personnel ordinance of the city.